Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Rainy Monday

Taylor Family and Friends,
So here it is, yet another cold and rainy P-Day in beautiful Paysandú. But, no need to worry, the zone still got together this morning and played ultimate frisbee out in the cold rain while Hno. Mederos cooked an asado! After the zone was cold and wet enough, we went inside and played the sign game! Good times.
Last week was a really good week. On Tuesday, Elder Shupe and I went to ZLC in Montevideo and learned a lot about setting goals and the work required to meet those goals. All of us in the mission are in the process of learning that principal. Our mission has changed A LOT in the last year and a half, and I am SO grateful for the chance that I´ve had to be a part of that.
Elder Shupe and I worked very hard last week. At the end of the week, I felt as though it had been one of the best working weeks of my mission. The results weren´t exactly what we had expected, but we´re just keeping our heads up and we´re going to make this week even better. We are really enjoying the opportunity to be together in a companionship. The Lord has blessed us with a powerful companionship, and we both know that He is expecting to see that by our works. Just in the last week, we have learned to rely on one another, but even more importantly than that, to rely on the Lord. He is the one directing this work, I have no doubt of that. He has led us to some of His elect children. His timetable may not be the same as ours, but that´s part of the learning process.
So Jason Aurich is married and Matt gets married this weekend. That´s crazy. How is the Boyce family doing? Wow. Last week I receive the notice that Uncle Tom was sick, and this week I receive his funeral schedule. Please send my love to his family. I can´t even imagine the trial that this must be. Let them know that they are in my prayers.
Elder Shupe and I have been working with a couple whose names are Juliano and Cristina. Their living conditions are very humbling, but they are awesome people. They have had some real extreme challenges and are looking for that peace that they lack. Cristina told us that she used to be very blunt and unpleasant to the missionaries that she saw in the streets and that passed by her home; she was very cold and wanted nothing to do with the subject of religion. Then, she had an experience where her husband left her and took her four children with him. She was hurt, and began asking questions and looking for answers. A couple of months ago, Cristina and Juliano talked and decided they wanted to hear the message that those young men in white shirts and ties had always tried to share with them; the next time they saw them on the street, they were going to stop them and give them their address. A month passed without seeing ONE missionary! They had passed by them everyday for years, but not passed during the following month. Then, one afternoon, two missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints came walking down the street. Before Juliano could say hello, they had stopped and presented themselves as Elder Larsen and Elder McGann. They told him they were sharing a message about the family and how the teachings of Jesus Christ can help us in our families. He gave them his address and went his way. Elder Larsen then passed this address to Elder Maughan and Elder Taylor, who belonged to the area where the address was located. Now Cristina and Juliano are reading daily in the Book of Mormon and strengthening their relationship with a Heavenly Father that they had barely ever heard of through sincere prayer. The Lord knows each one of us, and provides the opportunities for us to learn of His perfect plan...are we ready to accept those opportunities, or to be instruments in giving those opportunities to others?
I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who knows me and answers my prayers! I know that He loves us and wants to bless us; He´s just waiting until we do what is required to receive those blessings! I love being a representative of my Savior, Jesus Christ. To all those who are thinking about serving a mission, I only have six words: Decide now and never look back! I have learned SO much, and I still have a long ways to go. You will not regret your decision, as you taste of the blessings for yourself.
I am glad to hear that things are going well on the homefront. Nathanael, how´s the new job? I heard that Boston and LA are in the Finals...thanks for keeping me updated. :o) Some guy asked us the other day in the street who we thought was going to win-I told him that the scriptures tell us who´s going to win what really matters! Haha. Good times. Well, I love you all, and I hope you all have a fantastic week! I´m looking forward to those letters!
Elder Taylor

No comments: