Monday, June 2, 2008

Cold...

Taylor Family and Friends,
Hey there! So things have finally gotten nice and chilly here in Paysandú, and it is pretty darn chilly. But it´s nice to have the change. Well, changes came and went pretty smoothly, I guess. I was in the terminal for 23 hours straight...it made for quite the night and next day. The comp of Hermana Díaz left Tuesday night and her new comp didn´t get here until noon the next day, and she couldn´t find a member to stay with her that night, so we had to stay with her all night long in the terminal. We had a good 3-hour game of Phase 10! Haha. Needless to say, Elder Shupe and I were DEAD the next day. We´re still trying to catch up on our sleep; but we´re heading to Montevideo tonight at 2 AM for Zone Leader Conf. tomorrow, so we´ll just get backed up again! Good times!
Elder Shupe is from Ogden, UT. He went to Weber High and graduated 2006. He is a STUD! A gymnast, by the way. He competed internationally and is amazing. He has been fascinating the Uruguayans by doing a standing backflip. Makes for easy contacts. Haha. We get along really well and are having a blast together. Barrio Ombú doesn´t know what hit them! When I met him in the offices last year, he was just starting his first change as statistical secretary of the mission, and was later changed to executive sec. He heads home the very beginning of October. Elder Arrieta is having a great time with the three of us. His English is getting better, little by little. Yes, some of the investigators I had in Cerro got baptized! Two of them got baptized the weekend I left and another woman got baptized the same night we had the baptism here. It´s so nice to know that some of the people with whom you put in a lot of time finally took that big step. Some plant and some reap, but the growth comes from God!
Elder Shupe and I are really excited for this new change. We haven´t even been together a week yet and we have both shared things that we have learned from one another. I have no doubt that the Lord surrounds us with others who we can learn from. We all have something to share, and we all have something to learn; the trick is finding what it is, and accepting it! I am SO grateful for the companions I have had throughout the mission and the things that they have taught me.
Something that Elder Shupe and I have been talking about the last couple of days- the best thing about being a missionary is just being able to get to know people! Everyone has a very unique and intriguing story; the thing we/I love is just finding out who people are, and showing how the Gospel of Jesus Christ is going to bless them in their lives. On Friday afternoon we were walking down the street and decided to knock a door; we knocked and Myriam, an older lady, came to the door. Elder Shupe told her that we were in the neighborhood sharing a message about families and how God has a plan for our families. I asked if she had a few minutes so we could explain a little more-she said yes, and invited us in. We got to know her quickly and in the process learned that her husband passed away 5 months ago. While he was in the hospital, the missionaries had passed by her home, but she was so stressed out, she asked them to swing by in a couple of weeks. Apparently, the Elders forgot to pass by. As we talked to her about the plan that our Heavenly Father has prepared for our families, a familiar spirit entered the room and bore testimony to each of us that the plan of our Father is real. I am so grateful for that knowledge, and I am grateful for the guidance of the Spirit to find those who are prepared to receive this wonderful message. We have no need to be ashamed of sharing our testimonies!; it is a very simple act, but it can LITERALLY touch someone´s heart and change someone´s life.
I know that my Heavenly Father lives and He loves me. He knows who I am! What a wonderful blessing that is. Through simple and sincere prayer, I have felt that love. I have received answers to my prayers, especially when searching the scriptures. I truly know that they have been written for our time; they have been written for you; they have been written for me. I hope we each take advantage of that blessing and put Moroni´s promise to the test. We WILL receive an answer, if we are sincerely looking for His help. These things I know.
Tomorrow I am going to have another opportunity to learn a ton. We have ZLC in ´Deo, and I am so excited. I love being with other missionaries and learning from them, not to mention President Peterson and the Hermana. Take advantage of your opportunities to learn!
Who is Jason Aurich getting married to? That´s so crazy. I remember going on campouts and playing night games with that kid. Man, I´m getting old. :o)
Mom, banana cream pie stuff would be a GREAT idea! Mmm. I haven´t bought socks yet...I´m trying to put it off for a while so they´ll still be nice by the end of the mission. Haha. Those taffy cookies would also be a beautiful thing! I still have to convert Elder Shupe. :o) Which CD´s are you sending?! Oh, PS, did you ever find out if Caleb and Jordan had received my letters?
Well, I hope that all is well! That´s gonna about do it for me this week. I hope you´re all enjoying the summer break-Melanie and Megan, you have no excuse to not write me now! :o) I love you all and can´t wait to hear from you!
Elder Taylor

No comments: