Monday, April 2, 2007

Conference was AMAZING, no?!

Dear Family and Friends,
I figured I had better start with Conference. I absolutely LOVED it! Wow. I have tried to really focus and pay attention the last few years during Conference, and even take notes, but I have never been as attentive or had my hand hurt from writing notes! Just the first session alone I took like 4 pages of notes-I love it! Conference in the mission is definitely a different experience, but it is awesome. Almost all of our efforts last week were trying to get people to go to the Conference. Saturday there wasn´t a lot of people there, but there was quite a few on Sunday.

Ok, awesome story for the week. Yesterday, Elder Stoddard and I went to Conference and we were headed to the room set apart for us gringos who want to understand Conference, when we turned the corner and were greeted by...can you guess?...prolly not...ok, I´ll tell you...an ear-to-ear grinning, white-shirt-and-tie wearing, polished-shoes and pressed-slacks sporting, bright-faced JOSE LUIZ! I almost hit the ceiling with excitement. I cannot even begin to describe to you the change on his face. When he saw us turn the corner, his face lit up and he didn´t leave our side
for the next 20 minutes, when the Conference started. When we finally parted ways to go watch Conference and we got in our room, I just started crying. I cannot even begin to express how happy it made me to see Jose Luiz there, where he needed to be, when he needed to be there.

The Gospel truly brings happiness into people´s lives, and Jose Luiz is a testimony to that.

Alright, enough sentimental stuff...just kidding Mom! Friday I was on divisions with Elder Metcalf, one of our Zone Leaders, and we were over at their place. They live with the Coca. She is SO funny. She does everything for them, it´s kind of ridiculous, but amazing. I had talked to Elder Metcalf and Elder McFarland to see if they wanted to try and keep the Taylor Conference Tradition alive, and they were eager to accept. So Friday, Elder Metcalf and I asked the Coca if we could do it. She was eager to comply, and just drilled me with questions of what we needed and what I wanted. So Saturday, the tradition continued 6,000 miles away from home!

Yes, it had to be on Saturday, but that´s fine. We had pancakes (cuz waffles don´t exist down here) with bananas, apples, pears, pineapple, and syrup. It was ridiculously good. I took pictures, no worries. We watched the sessions live at 1-3, 5-7, and Priesthood from 9-11. we had to get permission, and we almost fell asleep in it anyway!) It was an amazing experience. The importance of prayer, a great way to start off the Conference.

The "afternoon" session of Conference was a little interesting. It was great, just felt like I was back in my Utah History class where we learned about those weird Mormons. It was quite the surprise for all of us, when right when they showed the first shot of the session, all of us just pointed and said, "Wait, that´s the Tabernacle!" It was nice. They are men truly called of God to lead and guide this Church. They are inspired to teach us and counsel us on the things we need to work on. The basics were emphasized in this Conference. Prayer, faith, repentance, forgiveness, gratitude, and gaining a testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. I think the challenge we received is one we should all determine to take upon us-regardless of whether we have before, read the story of Joseph Smith and ask in sincere prayer for a testimony or a confirmation if he truly was a prophet of God. I know that God will answer our prayers, because He has answered mine, and I have seen Him answer the prayers of the people here in Uruguay.

Ok, now to answer/ask questions. No, Mom, I wasn´t being sarcastic when I said I love the rain. It´s fantastic. It´s not the greatest support to the work, but neither is the burning sun, and I´d rather have the rain.Haha.

The BBQ went well. Porfilio was there, and a lady whom we had met and had a first lesson with the day before, with her 11-year old son. Members were there and anxious to make sure they felt comfortable. About 30-35 people in all. Elder Stoddard and I shared a thought on the importance of having a prophet and apostles and then we had a short testimony meeting. Family and friends, the Church is true, even in Uruguay. The Spirit can be felt so strongly when the members of this church stand up and live what they believe. We as members can do SO much to move this work along. Help the missionaries in your area in whatever ways you can, including helping them find people to teach! It is such a blessing for them, and you will be blessed in return. Elder Stoddard has been here for like a year and a half. He´s headed
home August 10. He says he´s going to go visit the fam when he gets back-I´ll keep you posted.

Changes are this week. We´ll find out tomorrow night whether we stay or go, and who with, and then Thursday, if here´s a change, we head to our new area. Elder Stoddard and I are both pretty sure we are staying here, and together. Not sure why, but we just feel that way. But really, doesn´t matter either way, the Church is true in any area! I´m getting the pictures put on a CD today, so prolly next week I´ll get them sent off. I was worried about not sending them before, but since you guys are so far behind with my scrapbook anyway, I won´t worry so much! Haha. There will be a ton of pictures, I´m warning you...

Oh, Mary-Anne, I don´t know about the nintendo controllers. I can´t remember if I took them to Logan or not. Sorry. You could call Neil Draper and ask him, he might remember. Haha.

All in all, know I love you and the work is moving forward! The Spanish is definitely coming, but I could definitely still use your prayers!Especially with the understanding part. If I could just understand better, it would be easier to catch all the little rules. But everyone has their own way of speaking, or their own accent or something, so it´s tough. But, with patience, diligence, and prayer, all things are possible that are convenient for the Lord-so hopefully it´s convenient for Him that I share the Gospel here in Uruguay! Haha.

I love you all, and you are in my prayers constantly! Oh, funny story real quick-When I show people a picture of my family, about 90% of them say that I look a lot like my dad. I think that´s cool! But anyways, we are gonna go show the ´Guyans how to play soccer, so yeah! I want to hear from my little sisters. Haha. I still didn´t get Mel´s email, so yeah. Oh, and I want pictures! From the fam, from my friends, from everyone! One of the Hermanas has been razzing me because I still haven´t gotten a package and I´ve been here for a whole change! She got a 30 pound package of sugar last week from home...so if any of ya´ll want to help me out with that...!Haha.

Love you all. The Church is true!

Elder Taylor

No comments: