Monday, February 4, 2008

Well hey there...

Taylor Family and Friends,
Hmm...where to start? A very interesting week. The main event was the funeral service of President Hinckley. We received permission to go and see the satellite broadcast at the Stake Center. I don´t know how long the program was at home, but we had a four hour broadcast; about 2.5 hours of the funeral and then about 1.5 of documentary type stuff. I did really well emotionally until the last song, "My Shepherd" which was accompanied by the slideshow of Pres. Hinckley. I don´t know if any of you remember, but Bingham´s Acappella choir my junior year sang that song...that was a tender mercy. I don´t know if it´s possible to put into words the feelings that we all have about such an amazing leader and example. I agree with Bishop Burton when he said it´s a especially hard loss for the youth of the Church; Pres. Hinckley was a role-model and an icon for the youth. He will be deeply missed.
Towards the end of last week, Elder Huber was feeling a little under the weather. I think it´s just that his stomach is trying to get used to the different diet. But he´s doing ok now. We´ve been doing really well together; we get along really well, so that´s definitely a good thing! He´s just a cool kid. I say kid...but he´s older and a LOT bigger than me. Haha. He could probly lay me flat with one swing. Needless to say, no one messes with us in the streets. :o)
Yesterday, we ate lunch with one of our investigators, Ricardo. (We are also teaching his 23-year-old son, Liber, if that helps you realize who it is.) Anyways, they couldn´t go to Church because they had family coming in from out of town, but to "make up for it" they invited us to come over and eat with them. We went over and had a very nice meal with them. His sister-in-law, two nieces, and a soon-to-be-nephew were there, along with Ricardo´s wife and son. Right when we sat down at the table before we started eating, the nieces and the nephew starting firing questions. It was an awesome lunch. I just love helping people correct their misconceptions about the Church. Not that they had "misconceptions," they just had NO idea who we are or what we do. They even thought that we were a branch of the Catholic Church....umm, no. It was a lot of fun, because they were kids around our age and it´s usually a more interesting conversation with kids your own age, because it´s easier to relate. Anyways, that was a fun experience.
This week there wasn´t a lot of big events, so I´m running out of things to say. Haha. Oh! One of the Elders that lives in our house, Elder Johanson, (from the Tri Cities, Washington area) hit his year mark on the mission this last week. We made a microwave cake, bought ice cream, and he burnt a tie. It was fun, because he did what I didn´t do at my year mark. :o)
Anyways, it sounds like you guys had a really cool experience at Pres. Hinckley´s viewing. In all, how long were you there? That would have been a really neat experience. I´m super glad that Megan wanted to go. Way to be, Goose.
Ok, so to make up for my short letter, I am sending pictures! There´s one of my son and I, Elder Huber, about 1 minute after we met each other; one of the house where I am living, which I love; one of my Christmas Eve dinner with the Baez family; and one of me with the Peterson family at our Zone Conference in December. Oh, and I´ll throw in one of Elder Larsen and I eating watermelon last change! Mmm. Be jealous. :o)
I hope that makes up for my short letter this week. If not...well... there´s really no other option. I´m excited to hear from you all. Take care of yourselves and drop me a line to give me an update an what´s going on! ¡Chao chao!
Elder Taylor






No comments: