Monday, October 22, 2007

Another Week...

Taylor Family and Friends,
Well hey there! How ya´ll doin? Things are going well here in beautiful Uruguay! Before I forget, changes are next week, which means that I will be writing on Tuesday, I think. Haha. They changed the day that the new Elders arrived and what-not last change, and I´m pretty sure it´s the same now, so I´m pretty sure we´ll be writing Tuesday. About 95%. Just so ya´ll know and don´t worry!
Things are starting to heat up in Bella Union; we´ve busted out the short sleeves and sunscreen. It´s still not "HOT," but it´s well on it´s way. And then that brings us to last Saturday-woke up in the morning to a BEAUTIFUL day; did service in the morning for a member in the ward and took fifteen minutes to play soccer with their grandkids. Then we went to lunch and as we left to go home, huge, dark clouds started to gather. Clouds were just coming together for about 3 hours. Then, right as we finished the closing prayer in the first lesson of the afternoon, it hit. It reminded me of one of those crazy Utah summer storms. It was SO cool. We were outside on the patio of this investigator, and that was where we stayed. Haha. No way were we going to leave...and even less when it started to HAIL! It was sweet. Good egg-sized balls of ice. Everyone says that that was the biggest hail they´ve ever seen here in Bella Union. The wind was so strong that the rain was coming "down" sideways. It was cool because this investigator has a big front yard (VERY rare) with huge trees-so that was entertaining! It lasted for about 20 or 25 minutes, and then just stopped. After a couple of hours, the clouds were gone and the sun was hot. Pretty sweet day. Reminded me of the weather at home.
I don´t think I have told you guys yet about Francisco. If so, oh well. Elder Gee and I were on divisions in Bella Union and as we were walking across the plaza, we did a contact with an older man seating on one of the benches. We presented ourselves and our message, and asked him if he would like to hear more. He said, "Yes. As a matter of fact, I have the Book of Mormon already." We asked him what he thought of it... "Well, just like it says on the cover: it´s Another Testament of Jesus Christ." We got pretty excited when he said that. Haha. A lot of people have Books of Mormon, either because they´re ex-investigators, or members gave them one, or whatever, but nobody has ever said that when I asked them what they thought! Then Elder Gee asked him where he lived, so we could pass by. When he told us the address, I realized that we were already teaching someone at that address! We were teaching his mother, and his two sisters! Ambrosia is probably about 88 years old, and his sisters Berta and Benta are like 60ish. We had invited everyone in the house to join us in the lessons with them, but he kind of lives apart in the back. So anyways, I made the connection and asked him about it. Yeah, he says, you have passed by to talk to my sisters, but I would like to talk to you guys by myself. Ok...not a problem!
This man is amazing. In our first lesson, we talked about the Book of Mormon and how we can know it´s true. I say amazing because he was quoting to US scriptures from the Book of Mormon. HE knew the "story" and who was talking in Moroni 10 (It´s Moroni, right, the son of Mormon? Yup, that´s right!) Every morning Francisco STUDIES the scriptures, prays, and just takes time to think. He is FULL of questions. As we began to explain the Plan of Salvation he asks us what we believe about ´original sin´ because he doesn´t think that it´s right for everyone to be judged for what Adam did. I flipped to the 2nd Article of Faith. After reading it and talking about it, he looked at me and Elder Marroquín and thanked us for answering a question/doubt that he had had for years.
He has asked about what happens to children that aren´t baptized and pass away, he´s asked about the difference between the spirit and the soul, and a ton of other questions that you only expect to hear in a practice lesson between missionaries in a district meeting. It´s great because our lessons are not us trying to pack information into his head; he asks questions and is eager to learn and accept the answers. On Saturday, we went to a lesson with him. As we finished the opening prayer, I asked if he had any questions he wanted to start with. He said, "No, I just want you two to teach me today. I´m not going to take you out of your ´routine.´" Elder Marroquín and I had decided previously that we wanted to talk about the Book of Mormon and invite him to get baptized. So we did. We talked about how once we have a testimony of the scriptures, we need to act; that part of understanding the scriptures is shown through the application in our lives. We then invited him to accept the Savior´s invitation and be baptized in His church. Francisco looked at us and said, "The only thing I ask you is to not rush me." He said, "I can´t give you a specific date, yet, but I can say that I will get baptized."
So that´s Francisco! He is an amazing example of how we all should be in our search for more understanding. Man, I love meeting awesome people!
Mom, you asked if the people are Bella Union are better off than the people in Artigas...I would say as a whole, no. The part of Artigas where I lived wasn´t amazing, but it was a very nice part. And the living is different as well. There´s a lot more people in Artigas, so there´s more apartments and condos and whatnot. In the center part of Bella Union there are some really nice houses, but as you move farther away from the center, you start to see how the majority of the people live. Yesterday we taught a lesson in a house about as big as our kitchen, made of mostly cardboard, to a family of 8. It really helps you have an appreciation for the blessings we enjoy.
The plaza about 5 blocks from the river is right across the street from me. From the southwest corner of the plaza, cross the street going south and half a block is our house.
We haven´t gone all the way to the community over by the Brazilian border to do proseltying, yet. We went to do service one day with the ward, but yeah. We have gone to the little branches of Bella Union that head out that way, though. Like yesterday, we walked about 45 minutes to get to that lesson...
Bishop Molina passed all the tests to get in to the firefighter training. He was the only one out of four guys from Bella Union that passed. He is back here with us, waiting for them to tell him when he needs to go down to ´Deo to start the training.
Mom, when you see Mary-Anne this week, give her a HUGE hug for me! And hit Nathanael for me. Haha.
Melanie and Megan, how´s school going? It´s weird to think you guys just started when everyone here is getting ready to end. Mel, what´s happening with the musical? Have you gone on any hot dates recently? :o) Goose, you just focus on your studies...you don´t need to think about boys yet! Haha.
Alright, well I think that´s about it for this week. Know that I love each and every one of you and that you´re in my prayers often! Don´t forget to write me. Haha. Just in case ya´ll forgot, you can write to the mission email address (urugoest@gmail.com) and they print it off and send it to me! So it´s a lot easier and free to keep in contact. What a blessing. :o) Well....see ya later!
Elder Taylor

No comments: