Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Changes...!

Taylor Fam and Friends,
Well hey there! How ya´ll doin? Things are going really well here in
Bella Union. This "beautiful union" has been a soaked union for the last
week. It has rained like every single day, all day. I don´t mind walking
in the rain at all, but the people here don´t think too much of it. It
makes the work a little more difficult, but hey, that´s what we do!
So I think that last week I forgot to tell you all that this week is
change week-that´s why I´m writing today. Usually we write on
Wednesday´s change week, but they´ve now changed it. Apparently on change
week´s we´ll be having our P-Day on Tuesday´s. Who knows? I just sleep
when I´m told. Haha. So sorry about forgetting last week...! My bad.
So I´ve been here in Bella Union for about a month and a half. The
changes brought with them at least another month and a half of Bella Union
for me! Elder Taylor is staying, with an Elder from Peru; but that Elder is
not Elder Huaman. Elder Huaman is headed to Mercedes, and Elder Marroquín
is coming to join me. Apparently the Lord knows that I need to learn
something from the poeple of Peru! Elder Marroquín has the same amount of
time in the mission as Elder Huaman, so he´s not NEW, but he hasn´t been
here too long either. I don´t know where he´s been here in the ´Guay,
but he´s coming from Montevideo. That´ll be a little bit of a change for
him. Haha. Montevideo is A LOT different than Bella Union. But he´ll do
fine. Elder Huaman bounces out tonight at 8:30 and Elder Marroquín gets
here tomorrow morning at 7. So that´ll be cool. We weren´t taken by
surprise at all by the changes. It was basically just waiting to find out
where he was headed and who was coming. Elder Huaman has mixed feelings
about leaving, which is understandable. This is his first area change in
the mission; he´s been here for 4 1/2 months. Things have really improved
in the last few weeks with Elder Huaman and I. Once we really start rolling
the way we should, the Lord sees fit to bounce him. But hey, He knows what
He´s doing, and He´s good at it. Just got to put our faith and trust in
Him, right? Ok, no problem!
This week was a great week. We had a lesson with Maria Correa, a lady to
whom we had taught 3 lessons, and in those lessons we talked about the Plan
of Salvation. It was something that she needed, so we began with that. So
this week, we taught her the message of the Restoration. As Elder Huaman
was talking about the life of Jesus Christ, the thought came into my head,
"Invite her to get baptized." It kind of took me by surprise. She hasn´t
gone to church yet, and we still hadn´t given her a Book of Mormon. My
companion finishes, and I start talking about Joseph Smith and the Book of
Mormon. After a couple of minutes, the thought comes again, "Invite her to
get baptized, now." So I stopped and said something along the lines of,
"Maria, if this really happened, and I testify to you that it did, it is
the greatest thing that has happened in nearly two thousand years. The
power of God is here on the earth, restored through a prophet, and we can
have the blessings of that power in our lives. Maria, we want you to be a
part of that. We´re planning a baptismal service the 20th of October. Will
you be baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints on that
day?" At first, she was hesitant it seemed. My companion and I both bore
our testimonies of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and of the Church. I then
extended the invitation again, and she accepted! We left that lesson
grinning from ear to ear. It was one of those lessons that you always want
to have! I´m so grateful for the promptings of the Spirit. It is SO
important that we listen and obey when we are blessed with those
promptings.
Maria did not end up coming to church on Sunday, because her husband had
an operation in Artigas, but we are still confident with this opportunity!
The Lord will provide the way.
We also extended another baptismal invitation Sunday afternoon to a
16-year-old named Diego Dacol. He is a teenager who has had some really
tough times in his life, and it´s hard for him to open up to people, but
he also accepted the invitation to be baptized. He still hasn´t been to
church, so this week is the key. I know the Lord will help us get him to
church, because He wants Diego to be able to enjoy His blessings as much as
we do! I´m so excited for this week!
Had a great sacrament meeting on Sunday. The 2nd Counselor spoke about
sacrifice. It was an AWESOME talk. I don´t know why, but it just hit me
right in my soft spot on Sunday. It seemed like Hermano Molina had prepared
that talk for Elder Taylor. One of those little tender mercies of our
Heavenly Father!
My little sister went to Homecoming?! Wow. I´m getting old. Haha. That
is SO cool! Mel, those pictures better be in my inbox next Monday when I
come to write! I want this kid´s full name, address, and any other
information you can get! Haha. No, I´m just kidding. It sounds like a
really fun date. I hope you had a GREAT time! Thanks for telling me about
it. And congrats on making the ensemble for the musical! That is SO cool!
Make sure somebody records it! I want updates. :o)
Mary-Anne just couldn´t take it anymore, uh? Haha. I was trying to
figure out how long she was going to last. I knew she wouldn´t make it to
Christmas for sure! No Mary-Anne, I´m not making fun of you in any way.
That´s just the way you´ve always been! And I´m definitely okay with
that, because I got to see you like every week! I know what you mean about
missing the mountains. I´d much rather live by mountains than by the
beach! As for your question about my dates...my release date, as you saw in
the picture, is December 26, 2008. Which means that I´d leave Montevideo
on the morning of the 26th. But who knows?! That´s still PLENTY of time
away-we don´t need to worry about that at all! You just take care of what
you need to do, and I´ll do what I´ve been called to do; the Lord will
take care of the rest! Haha.
Mom, what kind of souvenirs do you want me to pick up? I have no problem
spending money, if you give me permission. Haha. I´m still looking for
thimbles, by the way. The problem is that I´ve been in two pretty small
cities, and finding a souvenir like that is a little difficult. But don´t
you worry about it, I´ve still got plenty of time! :o)
Dad, I´m glad to hear that your reviews went well. I knew they would.
What the Captain said about your review being an example does not surprise
me! You have always been an amazing example to everyone who knows you!
Thank you so much for all the love and support you have given me.
Well, I think that´s about it for this week. I´ve now been out for over
9 months, in case you didn´t look at the calendar this last week. Haha.
That´s so weird. On Thursday it will be a YEAR since I received my call.
Wow. I remember it like it was yesterday. Ok, maybe two days ago. Haha. I
know the Lord has brought me here for a reason, and I will work as hard as
I can to make sure that that reason is fulfilled! I love you all!
¡Cuídense y pórtense bien!
Elder Taylor

No comments: