Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hope you're sitting down...!

Friends and Family,
I can´t believe it. Another change already come and gone. It´s so crazy
to think I´ve been here for 3 months already. The time really does go by
faster in the field-thank heavens! Haha. So talking to the family on Sunday
was really cool. Talking to Skyler was probably the most awkrard, as
retarded as that sounds. But then again, it had been a year since we had
talked! That´s a long time to not talk to your best friend. But yeah, then
it was back to work again on Monday. They sure don´t give you time to
ponder over all that-which is probly a good thing! Haha.
Alright, so about the subject line...I won´t keep you waiting in
suspense any longer. We found out the changes. We had already found out on
Sunday that Elder Stoddard was being called as a zone leader for his last
two changes, we just didn´t know where. He´s headed to Fray Bentos, which
is way down south, on the west border of Uruguay. So that´ll be cool;
he´s pretty excited to head down there-he´s been in our area for 6 months
straight and in Artigas for a total of 9 months of his mission. Alright,
now for my change....Elder Taylor is staying in Artigas, Branch 5. BUT...he
is receiving for his companion a Corto Plazo. Which means that it´s a
member from Uruguay who is "acting" as a missionary for a change. So I was
right when I said I had a feeling I was going to get a Latin, but I did NOT
think that I was going to be made senior companion. Elder Stoddard and I
couldn´t believe it. As a matter of fact, neither could the zone leaders.
My third change, second companion and I´m senior companion with a Latino.
Wow. Needless to say, I was a bit overwhelmed last night. Still am, sort
of. But I take comfort in the fact that this is the Lord´s work and He is
at it´s head. The week previous, for some reason, in my prayers I had been
praying that the leaders of the church here in the mission and the local
leaders receive and be receptive to the inspiration needed in order to
guide this work. Kind of like Joseph Smith and the First Vision, the answer
I received was NOT one I expected, but it is one that I am willing to run
and work with. For some reason the Lord has seen fit to place His
confidence in me to help advance the missionary work here in this area, and
I will do all that I can to fulfill that role adequately. Appropriately,
right before we found out the changes last night, I read a quote that said
something like-I´m paraphrasing- This is the Lord´s work and, as such,
you are entitled to His help. Hopefully the Lord has plenty of time set
aside in the next 6 weeks to help Elder Taylor in this end of the world,
because he will be searching for it! But as overwhelmed as I may feel, I
would be straight up lying if I said I was SO excited for this new
opportunity. It will definitely be a different experience than being with a
gringo from the Mormon capitol, but I couldn´t be more anxious to embark
on this new adventure. I don´t know my companion´s name, or even where
he´s from: all I know is that he arrives at 7:40 tomorrow morning, and
from that moment on, we are going to work this area to death! ¡Vamos
arriba!
I don´t know if I have said anything or not, but Elder Stoddard and I
have been teaching a man named Pablo Sarasua. He is a lawyer, and he is
awesome. He was very willing to talk with us and share his ideas, but he is
being very cautious about his investigation into the church. We have only
had 2 legit lessons with him, but they have been awesome! We gave him the
article Profile of a Prophet, out of one of the Ensigns, and he LOVED it.
It presents the facts of why we believe Joseph Smith is a prophet as case
of law. It´s really cool, and it really interested him. We invited him to
church last week, but he said, "For know, let´s just keep going like
this-nice and slow. I like to really know what I´m getting into before I
make a decision." And that is just fine with us. He is reading in the Book
of Mormon like a crazy man. He started like 3 weeks ago, and he´s already
in Mosiah-and he´s a lawyer who works all day, everyday. What an awesome
example, uh? He´s a good friend of one of the counselors of the stake
presidency, who lives in our ward, so that will be a big help. We know that
his dad was a Mason, because he told us, but he never said anything about
himself being one, and we couldn´t decide for sure. Last night, he
basically confirmed it himself. He said some things, that he didn´t
expound on, that strongly hint of the Masonery. "The light comes from
Egypt" (while we explained where the Book of Abraham come from) and that
Joseph Smith knew that very well (Joseph Smith was a Mason, as well). So
that was really cool. We have high hopes for him and his progression.
Eduardo is still doing well. We had a scare last week. He took a step for
the worse as a result of what had happened with the mother of his daughters
and everything, but we talked about it afterwards, and he seems to be doing
really well. It can be seen that he has a lot of desires to change and
learn more about the gospel. He is a really good guy, he just doesn´t know
ANYTHING about the gospel. Before we came along, he had never stepped foot
in any church, so it´s been cool to see the change that´s taking place.
Well, it´s about that time. I want all of you to know that I love you
and pray for your well-being everyday! The family has informed me that
stamps are well on their way, so letters will be coming soon! Don´t let
the fact that you haven´t heard keep you from dropping a line-I´ll step
it up. Haha. The work of the Lord is moving forward on this side of the
world, and I am so grateful to be a part of it! I love you!
Elder Taylor

No comments: